Commercial use of SASB Standards and/or related IP is permissible when a licensing agreement is in place with the SASB Foundation. Commercial use of SASP IP in the absence of such an agreement violates the copyright protections of SASB IP.
Examples of non-commercial and commercial use are included below:
- Using the Standards for your industry (or industries) to collect data and report your organization’s performance internally or externally
- Consulting the Materiality Map™ to learn about SASB
- Using the Standards for engagement with portfolio companies
- Using the Standards for manager selection and/or evaluation (limited to asset owners)
- Referencing SASB in proxy voting guidelines or investment policies
- Publishing an article or non-commercial content that includes limited content from the Standards or other SASB resources
- Incorporating the Materiality Map™ (or a substantial reproduction of the Materiality Map™) into an internal research database
- Using the Standards (or a substantial reproduction of the Standards) to rate or evaluate companies
- Mapping SASB Standards or the Materiality Map™ to a third-party data vendor and/or ESG ratings vendor
- Incorporating the Standards into investible products, ratings products, or products offering ESG data
- Incorporating the Standards into research reports or analytics platforms
- Using the Standards for manager selection and/or evaluation in an investment process on behalf of fee-paying clients
- Using the Standards in a consultative or advisory basis
For answers to additional licensing questions, see How to License SASB Standards.